Health & Fitness

Virgo

I am ridiculously excited about this so decided to share.  As some of you may remember, I participated in a study on the effects of aerobic exercise in fibromyalgia patients years ago.  YEARS ago.  Well, the same group from Tufts University just called me and they want me to participate in a study on the effects of Tai Chi on fibromyalgia patients!  Woot! 

Good things about this include it is paid (not much but paid exercise - WOOT!), I do better with groups but am embarrassed to do groups when my health and fitness level are this poor - but this is a perfect group, paid medical evaluations and fmri's by experts (kind of like getting a paid ninth opinion), easy to get to on the train, one more reason to get my fitness level up a bit before May! 

Overall the big thing is a great exercise group for me to participate in two times per week for 12 weeks.  It doesn't start up for about a month, but that is just fine as well.  That will also get me into the city twice a week - hopefully I will feel well enough to get out there and do some stuff. EXCITED!

Fantastic news! Thrilled for you!

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I achieved my goal of 3 sessions of strength training this week! I often skip the leg workout because I fear frozen legs when I run. However i scaled back a little on legs and still "felt it" but was not debilitated!

I've also completed 2/4 runs. Tomorrow will be my second last long run (11 miles), before I begin my taper for the race. I've stopped trying to push pace and I'm simply going for mileage now. Slow is slow and it isn't suddenly going to become fast if keep pushing....and I would probably injure myself.

I'm starting to create my playlist for the race which is great fun! My taste in music is undoubtedly eclectic ......

Okay. I decided it was time to get off my rump and do something other than sit here day after day reading the boards and/or  facebooking till the cows came home. I am 22 months in and my body has taken a toll. I weighed myself today and I was 116.That means I lost 20 pounds in the last 5 months.Death of a spouse and then a child within two years does not do a body or mind good! Not good, and mostly muscle. I look hideous! My outsides now match my insides!

I have to change this somehow. So, I got up enough courage to get dressed in my yoga pants and made my way to my first ever yoga class in town. I made it there! I was 2 minutes late but I did make it! I survived the whole hour long sessions! Yeah to me! I am proud of myself. With the high anxiety , sweaty palms, and aversion to crowds I managed to keep telling myself I can do this.

I know it sounds so tiny of an accomplishment, but for me, it was tremendous! Really emotional too. I got in the car and cried.. Not sad tears, but tears of joy. I didn't break and I followed thru. I did it!

Today is Sunday and I am really really sore. I hope this part gets better, but I am going to start small and keep going on Saturdays for now. Maybe I can scrounge together enough to maybe up the classes to two a week. I am determined to keep trying. All of you here inspired me. I just wanted you all to know that. It is so encouraging to see others take chances and trying new things with such guts and determination. Thanks for the inspiration and congrats to everyone on their accomplishments! You all ROCK!

Lots of hugs, Cyndi

Made up for the missing miles on my long run last Friday, today...Woot!

That means I accomplished both my strength and running goals this week.

Same goals for next week.

Also truly admiring the efforts everyone is putting forth to move and take care of themselves. Awesome!

Great job CBB!  Anxiety always is in full force when I go somewhere for the first time too.

Did pretty good with my workout plan this week.  Had my long run today...I don't suggest eating at Fatburger prior to running 10 miles :)

Thanks so much Manutesgirl! And congrats to you on your run! wow, that is a feat. I was never good at running. Thanks also on the heads up about Fatburgers, although it does sound delicious :) I have to remember the next time to eat a little something as I could hear my tummy rumbling when we were doing the end of Yoga and being "still". lol

Congrats to everyone on getting healthier! Cyndi

Attended yoga class again today! I'm hoping to hit Zumba tomorrow.

Baylee

Congrats on the yoga! I need to find out if the place I go has Zumba? It looks like that might be a lot of fun and great cardio! Keep up the great work!

Cyndi

Monday:

Warm up:

400 meter run - pretty quick

20 pushups

20 situps

20 air squats

4 cycles of 8 reps

Mid Grip Bench Press

Alternate with:

4 cycles of 6 reps

Strict Pull Ups

3 cycles of 21, 15 and 9 reps

Hang Snatch

Ring Dips

Felt better today at the end of workout than I normally do. I may be getting use to it. :)

wow you guys are doing great.  I joined a gym for the winter and then tried to do the same run I was doing on a treadmill outside.  That was a mistake so after 2 weeks off to recover I'm trying to run outside again.  So I did ropes, kettle bell squats and lunges , mountain climbers with bands, and some stuff with the medicine balls. Then a 3 mile run walk hoping I won't be to sore tomorrow. I did gain about 5lbs but I'm pretty sure its all muscle as my jeans still fit and 5 lbs of fat would make them rather tight. 

GO team widda GO!!!  :D

I'm here trudging along.  I have been reading a bunch in this thread and many others, but have not had a lot of time to post.  Just wanted to share some good news.  I had my initial evaluation for the Tai Chi for Fibromyalgia study today.  According to the study professionals, I am still unwell, disabled and an overall physical mess.  Of course, that is not the good news.  :o

The good news comes in two pieces:

1) The initial evaluation includes measures of depression and anxiety.  Last time I did them I was about a year out or so out.  I can happily report that I no longer qualify as having an anxiety disorder and I have virtually no remaining symptoms of PTSD.  WOOT!!!  Further, while I still qualify as suffering from major depression, I suffered from that well before I ever met Andy my score is now WAY lower than it was 3 years ago.  Yeah mediocre?  It's somethin...  8)

2) My physical ailments do indeed qualify me for 2 paid fMRI's and 24 paid Tai Chi classes spread over 12 weeks.  YEEEEE HAW.

What does all this mean?  Bonzo needs a nap, that's what it means right this minute. 

Keep up the great work everyone!!!  I have planed all my meals for the next two weeks to meet the guidelines set with my nutritionist (and that I have the food for) and I am inching my way along on the increased movement front.  Thanks for all the inspiration and motivation shared in this thread!