Minimalist 1 item a day challenge!

MissingSquish

Yeah, you can still find Tang.  I had it, and the instant tea, for making spiced tea.  But I haven't made it in a couple of years, so the Tang and instant tea were pretty rock solid.  :)

Okay, I'm going outside to check on the redneck, then attacking that cabinet!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well garage has been purged of 90% of the junk.  Now to rearrange.  Tonight and Saturday I will be emptying the storage container in the driveway that was put there to accommodate the house remodeling done last year.  Finally the weather is nice enough to work on this stuff. So much needs to just go away now, I've been a life long pack rat and am trying real hard to learn new tricks...it is after all just STUFF...right?

Hi guys!

Haven't posted in here in a while...but want to report I finally went through the clothes closets and am sending stuff off to Salvation Army and consignment...felt so good afterward I kept looking at the closets!!!  Yesterday we finally tore out the old and half dead shrubs in the front that came with the house when I bought it last year and (I had a hard time with this) took down an ornamental weeping cherry that was anything but ornamental, sadly it had never been pruned correctly and had grown into an eyesore...had to go...so I have been busy getting rid of things inside and out.

Mokie-good to see you back! Use the tang to clean your dishwasher  ;)

Mancino-My friend you are a purging machine!

RIFather-Saw you in "Goals" too!  Way to go you are on a roll!!!!

Donswife-I have a bag of to be shredded stuff...gotta get to it

CW-went through hubs office stuff a few years back..it was really hard...

I did hit the basement a bit yesterday.  Threw out a some oddball nuts, bolts, nails, and screws...just how many jars of that kind of stuff does one need?  And the random time I have scrounged through the tool chest when I needed something, I never seemed to have saved the right size and ended up buying more anyway.

I also finally dumped about a dozen half-empty bottles of various kinds of liquor.  Not sure how I accumulated so much of stuff I don't drink (and hubby didn't drink either) It had been fermenting in the basement cupboard for almost 10 years.  I think I got a little drunk just on the fumes as I was pouring it out...my laundry tub smelled like a dirty distillery. :)

I also finally schlepped my recyclables to the appropriate dumpsters here at the condo.  I hope nobody saw me dumping the dozen or so empty booze bottles, lol.

T minus 13 days until the scheduled closing on my new place. The house is still bursting with things, but I am going to get it done somehow. Minor stuff today... kitchen drawers, under the bathroom cabinet, the magazine rack.

Go Jess Go!

MS -You just keep plugging away-you are amazing!

Mancino-We could have dumped all the booze in together and had a party at your house!  What was that called back in the day when you would take a bottle to a party and they would dump it all together in a clean trash can and make a "punch"?

Guest TooSoon

You're putting me to shame but way to go!  And you'll get it done, Jess! 

One more week of grading and then graduation and I'm back on it.  Too many things coming in and not enough going out!! 

Though when Andy was here two weeks ago we did haul my dead Christmas tree from its perch in front of my front door (!!) to the end of the drive in time for bi-annual yard waste pick up.  It's something, right?  Better than last year at least....

SO I hope what I did today is ok...bought this house Dec. 2013....got possession and started remodel mid January....moved into it in May.  The previous owner obviously moved out in January...she left behind an old porch glider with nasty cushions, a getting rusty metal table and one chair.  I told her she could come pick them up any time....no need to call that they would be on the side of the house....well I couldn't stand it any longer! This is the year of redoing the exterior...BF took them to the dumpster at his shop today....I was sick of the mini junkyard and she had well over a year to stop by right?  Please tell me allowing someone a year and 3 months was long enough!  And yeah!  No more mini junkyard!!!!!

SO I hope what I did today is ok...bought this house Dec. 2013....got possession and started remodel mid January....moved into it in May.  The previous owner obviously moved out in January...she left behind an old porch glider with nasty cushions, a getting rusty metal table and one chair.  I told her she could come pick them up any time....no need to call that they would be on the side of the house....well I couldn't stand it any longer! This is the year of redoing the exterior...BF took them to the dumpster at his shop today....I was sick of the mini junkyard and she had well over a year to stop by right?  Please tell me allowing someone a year and 3 months was long enough!  And yeah!  No more mini junkyard!!!!!

I think you're good... If they wanted that stuff, they would have gotten it last summer, you'd think.  And the mixed punch?  I don't know about where you are, but at my college in SE KS, we called it "Jesus Juice".  Not sure why!!

Finally this week we will be heading south to visit all our boys, and they are going to be the recipients of a lot of the stuff we're cleaning out.  My son is going to be the "Biggest Winner" because he has his own house and a very large shop, so he's getting most of the goodies out of the redneck's shop.  Several pieces of furniture, all the photos we took out of the frames... Next big deal is going to have to be a rummage sale.

Mokie-thanks I'm still feeling a little bad about throwing the stuff out but yeah, I gave ample time.  "Jesus Juice" was the term I was looking for....just could not remember!

Today I bought a new pair of sneakers but I threw 2 old pairs out!  And went through a bathroom cabinet and tossed stuff too.

I made up serious ground today in 1 item a day.  Cleared 2 pickup trucks worth of stuff out. Some donations, some recycling and some just plain old trash. Got my small attic space emptied of the 10 year collection of stuff so I could properly put away the Christmas bins and my wife's clothing bins (no not ready to junk them yet but at least they are neatly and efficiently stowed away).  Also made headway with DS#3 and clearing the blockade around his bedroom.  He will be my next challenge to "minimalist". LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Tossed out a large curbside trash can-full of "project" junk from the basement yesterday.  :)

I came across this article today, and thought of this thread. It is a brief read:

A Simple Approach to Getting Rid of Clutter

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/05/a-simple-approach-to-getting-rid-of-clutter/?utm_source=All&utm_campaign=Daily+Moment+of+Awake+in+the+Inbox+of+Your+Mind&utm_medium=email

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I've posted on this thread so I'm bumping it back up as I add a few things.

Shredded several old or replaced credit cards

Threw out instruction manuals to many replaced appliances

Threw out old house phones that don't work anymore

Threw out a pooper scooper I bought that never worked well. 

Sold a dog crate that the dog has outgrown.  It will be out of the garage this afternoon.

When my son get's home I'm sending him to the shed to get the ancient lawn sweeper I just replaced to put out for the trash guys tomorrow.

A couple of weeks ago I donated a walker I was given when I had my leg injury but was barely used. 

Now if I can just keep purging on a regular basis I might see some progress around here!

Finally went through my closet and packed up my older, larger clothing (yeah diet!) and sent it to Salv Army along with a bunch of baby toys I FINALLY packed up from my son's room (he is 4 now!) With the help of our nanny, we also went through my son's clothes and found a pile that was too small and we passed them along to a family in town we know. I cant WAIT to get rid of more stuff.....

Guest TooSoon

Happy to see this thread back on!  In June I had a friend come over and dismantle my dear Scott's failed grape arbor and then the person who got his job came and took all of his art supplies and power tools from the studio in the basement. I keep liquidating, little by little.  And with each purge, I feel lighter and lighter!