Memories of your DH/ DW?

ssdad

I wonder if you wouldn't mind sharing one or more of the many nice memories you have of your spouse.

There are of course so many that make up the blanket of our time together, none more significant than the other. Some that pop into my mind: our hikes around local parks and walks in our neighborhood, rollerblading with him at the city park, holding hands whenever we went out, his surprise party for me on my 40th birthday, him at his beloved coffee machine making a morning latte, sitting on our deck eating dinner from the grill, how he was so good with little kids ...

Oh, my...so many memories.  Going back to my first husband...he had a way of looking at me with his big brown eyes that told me that his world was never right when I wasn't with him.  He was a strong extrovert, and I can picture him in his element, surrounded with friends.  I remember how he was surprised at his 40th birthday...we got so many of his friends and all of his family together.  He should never have lived to be anywhere near 40 years old, so it was a big celebration.  (He died at 53.)  I remember the joy he had of just basking in the warm Caribbean sun.  He hated being cold.

My second husband...memories that are much more recent..  Greeting him when he came home from work, standing on the bottom front step so I could kiss him better. (He was 6'4"+.)  Long conversations, traveling to so many places, seeing wonder in his eyes like a little kid when I treated him to a private flight over Denali when we were in Alaska, or when we went up over Mont Blanc in the Alps, or watching him teach poor Peruvian children about the planets and the stars.  Watching him teach anything, really.  He loved teaching and his students loved his enthusiasm.  He could make anything at all very interesting.  Having him hold me every night while I fell asleep, kissing my neck and shoulder because he hadn't reached his self-imposed quota of giving me 100 kisses a day.

Damn, I miss him.

Maureen

great post and I could fill pages and pages with wonderful Memories

Sunday drives to nowhere , Car shows on sundays

working on our Home together and all the laughter involved

Me cooking on sundays as he was upstairs tying fly's for fishing

I loved that in the warm weather we would just sit in our favorite spot when the day was winding down

just sit and talk ...

I could go on and on

like Maureen said ....Damn I miss him

I have so many.......I am scared I will start to lose them. We shared so much together.

The goodbye when he went to Bosnia with the United Nations,

The look on his face as I walked towards him on our wedding day.

How he actually hopped into the kennel with our new puppy on her first night away from her mum so she could go to sleep.

The awe on his face when our daughter was born.

He is so dear to me, so familiar and so missed. I can close my eyes and see him, hear him. Some days I still can't believe he is gone forever.

The 19th is the 2nd anniversary of my mom's death. Her last 24 hours has been running through my mind. I have so many regrets. One being that she died in a nursing home.  She was 63. Phil had just finished his first round of aggressive chemo. We had been 3 hours away from home for 3 weeks. Yet he insisted on driving me to see my mom. He didn't want me driving while upset. He waited outside because his immune system was compromised.

I remember the first year after we finished college. We both had a really hard time finding work and had to each move back in with our parents. It was winter time and we would spend as much time together as possible. When it got late, because we had no where to go we would spend all night walking around the city. It was cold and we would go into coffee shops to warm up a little, and huddle on benches until sunrise. We just did not want to part no matter how sleepy and cold we where. I also love remembering how he would always smoosh my face and kiss my cheeks. How wonderful life was with him in it. I can't imagine life without him.

Eddie and I met online and lived many states apart.  The first time I visited him, one of the outings he planned was an overnight at a bed and breakfast in wine country.  It was the off season, so we were the only guests that night.  The house was quiet when the innkeeper let us in and showed us around, in the early evening.  Later that evening, still alone in the house, we started to hear faint piano music coming from nowhere and everywhere.  It just started, all by itself.  We searched for the source and were half convinced the place must be haunted when we couldn't find anything.  It was actually kind of creepy.  We felt silly and had a good laugh at ourselves when we finally found the source, a hidden stereo in a random cabinet, wired to some very well hidden surround sound speakers, and with a timer the innkeeper had set to automatically play during certain hours. 

That memory made me smile while writing it.  Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share.

There are so many memories I could share of my Kenneth. Some are so incredibly sweet and funny. Others are of terrible fights or moments in which I didn't like him nearly as much as I loved him, or vice versa, but that's how life works. Since today is my birthday, I have been thinking back to the very last couple that I had with him. Three years ago, he was in the hospital and couldn't take me out to dinner or buy me a present, so he gave me money and told me to go enjoy dinner at a nice restaurant on him, rather than having to eat another meal of hospital food. Two years ago was our very last birthday together, for either of us. Again, he was too sick to take me out or buy me a present, but he did everything he could to make the evening enjoyable, and for that. It was a wonderful evening, and I shall always cherish the time I spent with him that night.

Eddie proposed to me on April Fool's Day.  He had no idea that was the date, as he was so nervous and focused on the proposal itself.  We were in Monterey, sitting in the gazebo on Asilomar State Beach.  He said all these lovely pre-proposal things to me, and asked me to marry him.  I told him that he better be serious, because if he was pulling an April Fool's prank on me, I would get in the car and leave without him.  lol  That's when he realized the date.  I said yes, of course, and I would again.

Can I tell you how my 3rd son was named?

I have 3 sons. The first two I happened to name, cuz, I guess I came up with the names. So when I was pregnant with my 3rd baby, I told my husband he could name it. I didn?t want to know the sex ahead of time, I wanted to be surprised. And I was. When he was delivered I said ?Wow it?s a boy!? I never thought that meant it wasn?t a girl. It didn?t matter.  Before he was born, my husband and I both made out a list of boy names and girl names that we both agreed on. Then, my husband could make the final decision.

So after the baby was born, I was holding him in the recovery room, I looked down at him and said, ?So this is Scott!? That was my husband?s favorite boy?s name. My husband said no, he didn?t look like a Scott, he wanted to go home and think about it. So after all that planning, he spent the first night in the hospital as Boy Baby ____.

The next day my husband came back and said he picked out a name. He wanted to name him Brian Thomas ______. I said I liked it, it was on the list, and that was a great name.

A few days later at home, as I was nursing him, I asked my husband why he changed his mind in naming Brian. My husband said, ?I know you didn?t get the little girl you were hoping for and I saw that Brian was your first choice for a boy. I put Thomas with it. It?s was the least I could do for you.?

To this day, I will never forget what he said. And Brian? He looks the most like his Dad, acts the most like his Dad, and has been a God-send to me. Baby Bri Bri is now 26 years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do I even start?........

Ditto. Met when we were teenagers and inseparable since day one together. I have a lifetime of memories, 22 years together, 15 married. They hit me at random just about every hour of the day. I miss him so much, I can't even think what comes to mind first. I feel like I dreamed it all up because it was basically just the two of us (no kids and we were each other's whole life so it really feels like half my world went with him).

I think right now, I miss how he would always rest his leg on my calf at night. The weight of his leg would erase the weight of the world. :'( I miss him so much.

• 6 months later...

Jenny was brilliant, she was so smart, funny, and well spoken.

I on the other hand tended to often say dumb stuff so it was normal for me to do....but her so rarely.

So if she did on occasion say something that made no sense i wouldn't let it go....and every so often would just repeat her silly things she said in conversation, like " Just let the dead horse die" or "I stuck the fridge on the note pad" in both of those examples and the others she said by mistake I knew what she meant...yet still found them to be funny....and we would laugh and laugh and laugh when i repeated them like it was regular conversation when we would be talking.

I am sure nobody else would have found them funny if they were there to hear it but sure brought laughter to our lives in a silly way.

I on the other hand tended to often say dumb stuff so it was normal for me to do....but her so rarely.

So if she did on occasion say something that made no sense i wouldn't let it go....and every so often would just repeat her silly things she said in conversation, like " Just let the dead horse die" or "I stuck the fridge on the note pad" in both of those examples and the others she said by mistake I knew what she meant...yet still found them to be funny....and we would laugh and laugh and laugh when i repeated them like it was regular conversation when we would be talking.

I am sure nobody else would have found them funny if they were there to hear it but sure brought laughter to our lives in a silly way.

Thank you, Ian, for resurrecting this post.  I went back and read what I had written about my guys and it brought me warm but sad feelings, and that is okay.

I'm so sorry you and your little girl had to lose your Jenny. I've read your other posts, too, and I know you are struggling.  Please know that your feelings are all pretty normal, although unique to you.  Nothing is right in the world when our beautiful love stories are crushed by the death of such wonderful people. I hope you can continue to find solace in reading the words of others who have faced our same kind of loss.  Continue posting as well.  It may be the only place you can say how you truly feel.

Hugs,

Maureen

Thank you, Ian, for resurrecting this post.  I went back and read what I had written about my guys and it brought me warm but sad feelings, and that is okay.

I'm so sorry you and your little girl had to lose your Jenny. I've read your other posts, too, and I know you are struggling.  Please know that your feelings are all pretty normal, although unique to you.  Nothing is right in the world when our beautiful love stories are crushed by the death of such wonderful people. I hope you can continue to find solace in reading the words of others who have faced our same kind of loss.  Continue posting as well.  It may be the only place you can say how you truly feel.

Hugs,

Maureen

Thank you for that.

• 1 month later...

The weekend before my husband passed away, we went away for our anniversary. I remember the entire day and night being absolutely perfect. We did a bike pub crawl thing around the city. We had a mess-up with our room and ended up getting upgraded to a mountain view suite. We ended up going to a music festival and my husband was very adventurous (I'm very cautious). You couldn't get anywhere close to the gate. We didn't have tickets. Somehow my husband had me climb through a parking garage and down through a hotel to an outside patio/bar. Here you could hear the music and it was wonderful and literally right outside the venue.... I remember my husband just randomly looking at me and saying "You're everything to me" and I was speechless. However...my husband being the adventurous guy he was... just being close to the event wasn't enough. Next thing I know he goes up to the guy who is checking arm bands (my face is blood red and I'm so nervous). He says "Hey man... it's my wife and I's three year anniversary.. think you could let us in" and what do you know the guy did and fake checked arm bands. So we got music and fireworks... we then went out on the night dancing the night away. It truly was spectacular... so thankful to have this as one of our last memories.

I was damaged goods when my husband and I found each other.  He was too.  We'd both been mistreated in prior relationships and really I tried to push him away but he wouldn't budge. It was easy to love him. He looked at me every day for 3 years like I was the only woman in the worls. I will never forget how it made me feel to be so loved. so admired, so wanted.  He was a beautiful soul.

L and I used to love going for walks in the woods on cold mornings. We would walk for hours and just talk and sometimes play like little kids. We were never bored together. We could spend hours just talking about silly stuff or have really deep conversations. I miss talking to him and hearing his voice.

I remember this one time we went for a walk in an unfamiliar hiking area and we got pretty lost. Of course L insisted that we weren't lost and we walked for at least five hours before we made our way back to the road. L is the only person in the world that I could have fun getting lost with. I never worried with him. I always knew that he would keep me safe.