What do we call them?

Forgottenwife

Lets have some fun!!

What should we call our new partners (before re-marriage of course when they become spouses?) I've seen it said that 'boyfriend' is weird, I tend to agree! I'm a little old for a boyfriend and watching my partner say 'this is my girlfriend' just doesn't sound quite natural.

So, suggestions?? Boyfriend? Partner? Chapter 2? Be creative!

At 39, saying "boyfriend" seems a bit off.  I think I last had a boyfriend in junior high.  Though I do refer to Jon Hamm, Patrick Wilson (and a few others) as my "fantasy boyfriends". 

Not a fan of referring to a person as "Chapter 2"; I'm of the mindset that that chapter started the moment my husband died.

I currently say "gentleman friend" or if I'm in a more playful mood, "gentleman caller".  Sometimes with a southern accent :)

New guy only when referring to him here. I have said boyfriend a few times but it feels weird at 46.  "The guy I'm seeing" in conversation with others. I use just his name when I introduce him with no qualifiers and then he laughs at me because I'm so awkward about it!

At 39, saying "boyfriend" seems a bit off.  I think I last had a boyfriend in junior high.  Though I do refer to Jon Hamm, Patrick Wilson (and a few others) as my "fantasy boyfriends". 

Not a fan of referring to a person as "Chapter 2"; I'm of the mindset that that chapter started the moment my husband died.

I currently say "gentleman friend" or if I'm in a more playful mood, "gentleman caller".  Sometimes with a southern accent :)

Last night before coming over, my (boyfriend?) asked me if I would like to have a gentleman caller. :) However, as an historian I should point out that the term really referred to someone inquiring about a young lady's interest or availability. So not suitable for people in a relationship, although I do find it cute. I am also 39, and I find the word boyfriend weird. Actually, I'm wondering how much it has to do with age, as much as how much we've been through.

Let's see, mentioned this in the other thread, but GIS? (guy I'm seeing) But that seems more casual than being in a relationship. I've seen guys for a time but didn't consider them my boyfriend.

Always liked nonesuch's Flavor of the month, but people really have to be in on the joke.

Significant other is more serious than Guy/girl I'm seeing. I think what we need though is something that encompasses everything in between.

I do like consort; I'll float that past N and see what he thinks.

Guest TooSoon

At one point, adp suggested calling me his "lover."  Ugh!  I am not Mrs. Robinson (I believe was my reply).

Paramour? 

I call him my partner.  Nothing else seems to fit.

John and I went from meeting each other to engaged pretty quickly.  We had the fianc?/finac?e words...only we didn't tell people we were engaged right away.  I guess it was pretty obvious to others that we were in love, so we didn't really worry about using any terms.  It was simply, "This is Maureen" or "This is John."  We did refer to each other as fianc? and fianc?e to people we didn't know or were just meeting, since they didn't have any back story and they often wondered about our relationship, as we weren't wearing rings.

I'm kind of glad I didn't worry about what to call him.  Often, I called him "baby" and "lover".  I loved calling him my husband.

Now...I'm hoping that this will become a problem for me!  I can picture "GIS" becoming part of my new vocabulary.  Alas, there is no GIS in my life right now.

Maureen

In the beginning, MrsMisterMan took to calling my guy Gentleman Caller, because we couldn't figure out what exactly he was or where the friendship was going.

A few months after we officially started dating, I decided to tackle my reserve and gave myself the task of using the words 'my boyfriend' in conversation. At first, they felt heavy on my tongue, awkward. Now, at 18 months, they roll off effortlessly. And, apparently, I'm the only one here who gets a girlish pleasure out of saying the words 'My Boyfriend' (I'm 51.) I find it fun, hilarious, joyful.

I also like saying my beau.

Along the lines of emergency contact, you could shorten it to something more snappy like- 'my ICE' (in case of emergency)- I have that next to bf's name in my phone.

Thanks for sharing everybody. I say boyfriend in some conversations or guy friend. When introducing I think I've just said "this is my friend, B." It's a given that he's my "boyfriend" in all the situations where I've introduced him so far. He happily tells people that he's my boyfriend.  :)

Guest TooSoon

I just called adp to wish him a happy birthday at midnight Liverpool time and called him "my old man"  (affectionately of course) so there's another option for some of us......

And, apparently, I'm the only one here who gets a girlish pleasure out of saying the words 'My Boyfriend' (I'm 51.) I find it fun, hilarious, joyful.

I'm 49, he's 52 and I find it a laugh too, so fear not, you are not alone! Also happy to be called girlfriend, of course. Here it's that or 'the missus'.

I call him my friend. Or the man I am involved with...or just use his name when referring to him.

He's the same way. I can't do the "boyfriend" stuff...he's 52 years old for Petes sakes.

When he's coaching-the kids on the team call me "Bae"

My daughter calls him "Moms boyfriend" my boys say "the guy my Mom is seeing"

But I am pretty private about it this time around. I don't do the "in a relationship" nonsense on FB either. It just seems juevenile and I see no reason to advertise certain aspects of my personal life online.

Guest TooSoon

adp was in my office one time and a student that I am especially close to came in and I said, "Mike, this is my friend Andy."  And Mike, the student, looked at me like "What are you talking about? I totally already know he's your boyfriend!"  But I just choked and could not utter the word "boyfriend" to a 20 year old. 

My nine year old daughter on the other hand has no problem proudly, emphatically and loudly introducing him as "my Mom's boyfriend" to anyone and everyone, solicited or unsolicited.......

Funny world we live in.

Great posts. I struggle with this, too, after being married for 23 years. Boyfriend just does not cut it at all. I tend to call him my "guyfriend." Works for me.

I have noticed how interesting it is that people make assumptions these days when you are of a "certain age." More than once when checking into or out of a hotel the staff has said, "Thank you, Mr and Mrs. .... "

Some how I don't think my twenty something sons would encounter the same assumption with their girlfriends.

When I woke up today this one popped into my head. You know when you get an invite to an event, like a concert or a wedding, and you get to bring along another person? You could just introduce your paramour to people as 'this is my Plus One.' It's also gender neutral!

Paramour's not bad either...

Guest TooSoon

Boyfriend did feel weird at first but now seems much easier. I also like partner in crime :-)

A colleague used that term.  He said, "Glad to see that it looks like there's a partner in crime."  It really made me smile.  Perfect!