New things that they would have loved

TornApart

I'm 3.5 years out and have been doing pretty well, all things considered. To the point that I couldn't quite conceive the magnitude of the pain back in the first two years. But the other day, I was driving my new car and thinking about a new Avengers movie, part of which was filmed a block from my workplace.... it all came back. I started thinking, which was the last movie in the Avengers that he saw, he would have loved my new car. Just two little things and all of a sudden I couldn't breathe, my throat tightened up, my stomach felt like I had been punched. You all know. Gut wrenching tears and gasping for breath.

What new little thing would your partners have loved? What takes you back the beginning? What do you wish you could share with them and see their joy? Maybe a silly question. Everything?!

DH would have loved all the new technological things.  I still use his iPad and iPhone, now dated.  But the big thing, not small, is his great son!  He had no father and had such joy to be one.  Our son turns 13 in Sept.  DH would have been so proud, so involved, pure joy.  :-X

with the help of family and friends our bedroom that we started redoing before he died is finished

it overlooks the backyard and you see all his gardens

MyDon would have loved to see the finish project

Hate that would have been our bedroom is now just mine

For me it's mostly things to do with our kids. So many moments big and small that he has missed. I also would have loved to hear the things he would've said about the election, sometimes I can just hear his snarky comments when I'm watching the news and I laugh.

It kills me that Jim didn't get to see the Star Wars movies. He was a huge fan, knew everything about the movies and the expanded universe, and he was excited to see what Disney would do with it. He used to joke that he had a PhD in Star Wars, and now I keep thinking there's a whole new chapter he's missing. :(

My first husband died almost 7 years ago.  He never had a smart phone.  He had a genetic neuromuscular disease and was really weak physically.  Nothing he tried at the end of his life gave him acceptable access to his computer.  He could have used a smart phone, even with his hand and finger weakness.  That would have made his world in many ways.  He was a strong extrovert and loved to communicate with people.

My second husband never got to use the back yard he designed, including a post to mount his telescope.  The extensive landscaping, patio, walkways, walls, grasses and other native plants were finished by the contractor at the end of November.  Our furniture arrived in December when he was away at a conference.  I joined him in California and we spent more time out there.  We came home December 22.  We sat outside in the cold the next night for a few minutes together, and the next day we were off to Wisconsin.  We never went out there again.  He died unexpectedly on January 11th.  I've looked at that yard for 2 1/2 years and it only makes me sad.

Maureen

NOt sure he would have loved this but it's more I think about what his reaction  would be.

It's weird I live in an area where a lot of the houses that were built in the 1950's are being torn down and large houses, almost mansions really, are being erected.

This year on my crescent that only has about 15 houses, 7 are being torn down and rebuilt. I hardly recognize the street..........and I always think if he were to check back in would he even recognize the area.

Sidenote : It's not that I think he is going to come back any moment fantasy thing...it's just that thought how would he react.

He would be on edge right now about Formula1 outcome; thrilled that Nico has a chance at the championship; a bit sad for his beloved Ferrari making 4th and 5th. Darling, I continue to watch the races, as many as I can; hope you are having fun up there with some great F1 legends, spraying champagne out of giant bottles and all; you deserve it!

My husband would have loved to see the new Star Wars movie.  I know he would have loved it.

Even after all these years I still see things that I know he would have loved to see and do.  I miss him so very much, even though I don't say that to any one very often.  They would not understand that feeling of being a widow.

Has we all know, some days are a lot harder than others.

Thanks for being there everyone.

I'm four years out. These are more big things vs. little things. The little things do come up on a regular basis. Cindy would love to see how happy and how well our children are doing. Our daughter got married last month to a wonderful man. Our son graduated from college and is so happy to finally have a place of his own with his girlfriend.

Cindy wrote me many a letter and many a note back in the days. Just finished reading one today. So grateful for her love, our life together and these wonderful notes.

Oh yeah, the Star Wars movies. I got choked up watching that. She loved them (we were both major geeks)

I didn't own horses until a couple of years after she died.  Dogs were all we could afford-- medical expenses were a way of life for so long.  She couldn't ride that much thanks to her health, but rode a bunch in her youth. I like to think she would have loved my ponies as much as she loved our dogs. 

Star Wars, yep. Also every Marvel movie. He had plans to see Guardians of the Galaxy later in the day he died unexpectedly. Seeing how goofy looking the puppy we got the day before he died has gotten. Changes at work- we used to work for the same company and I always think about wanting to tell him things. Seeing our old boss win the primary for becoming a congresswoman. Advances in 3D printing. All things nerdy. All of it he should have gotten a chance to see.

He would have had the best, brightest set of golf clubs available --- titanium and graphite shafts were just coming into vogue when he died.  He was a maniac for golf.

He would have hated or loved the advances of internet and computers -- he read articles and science websites for hours but struggled doing his monthly Expense Report for work on Excel.

He would love that his son is an engineer just like him - albeit a different discipline (John was a Civil Engineer, son is an Electrical Engineer) ... he would have been totally blown over that he backed the wrong offspring.  He thought our daughter was the natural engineer - she started the same path as her father but confesses she did it to get her dad off her back and never thought she was engineer material... she bailed the term after her dad died, and now has a career for an international security firm as a Trainer and Procedures Auditor.

He would be distressed that I am vegetarian now and have several tattoos - but he would probably still make 'wild piggy' noises at me, especially when I get the blue hair dye going on.

Thanks so much, all. I sat here reading your stories with a smile on my face, and then tears streaming down my face. They all sound so awesome. Your examples made me think 'oh yeah, he would have loved that too!' Never thought I would be happy to cry, but I have learnt to think of tears as a sweet release now. The tears are just the price I have to pay these days to revisit happy moments and memories.

• 4 weeks later...

Our three daughters milestones of course, or anything family related. His niece just had her first baby. His sister moved back to Indiana. To the simple things like finishing a few TV series we started together, or new movie releases. Deadpool comes to mind because when we saw his character in an X-men movie we both agreed he needed his own movie. Right now he would be extremely excited about his Minnesota Vikings being undefeated!

The banjo teacher thinks DS needs to sing while he plays, so he's currently sitting on his bed strumming his two chords and singing  "down in the valley" in monotone. DH would have eaten this up!!! Me, I'm counting the minutes till I leave to get his sister.   

So many things.....I think about that a lot.

Star wars - definitely

Our new living room and bathroom (I redid both after he died)

Our son's new bedroom - I turned my husband's office into our son's room (one of the best rooms in the house : ) and we kept the stuff he put up in there...like his fish shelves)

Our new car - I finally traded in the Dodge Ram truck 2 years ago and bought the car he wanted to buy for me

Our son's accomplishments - seeing him go off to Kindergarten on the bus

Our settling into small town life - I did the things he wanted to do locally such as join the sailing program and the local yacht club

Going to the new restaurants in Seaport - he would have loved that....