Three good things

Guest sphoc

1.  Difficult to limit all the good things of the last days to 3.  Family and friends spending time together heads the list.

2.  A full week of no school and time to just hang out.

3.  It's the day after Christmas and not one exchange to be made and I don't need to face a store today.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Struggling hard today to keep afloat. My mood is an unpredictable as the Scottish weather. Being a single parent is an unrelenting, thankless task, even when the children are older as mine are, they have such high expectations and I am a limited resource. Focusing on the good things is like clinging to a life raft in a storm.

1. I slept brilliantly, waking at 9.15am which must have happened a handful of times this century.

2. We headed to the theatre this afternoon for our annual trip to the pantomime which was as funny as always, maybe this will be the last year though, maybe time for a new Boxing Day tradition next year.

3. Managed to hold it together (just) when I wanted to fall apart. The lure of the nut roast left overs held things in balance.

1. Went to church with my daughters and in-laws. Since it was the last Sunday of the year our pastor always reflects on what our church accomplished throughout the year . The worship music was beautiful. 

2. After church we all went to see Daddy's Home.  Good movie!  The ending was perfect.

3. After the movie we went to a local Mexican restaurant for a late lunch. Fun day!

4. I'll add another.  I've been texting with a guy friend since we got home. 

1. Started the day with a TRX session and then a swim at the gym. The gym have been the thing that has got me through the last few years and going less recently because I have been working so much has been tough. It is good to be back over the holidays.

2. Sat and watched the final Downton Abbey this afternoon, curled up on the sofa, with no feelings of guilt for doing nothing.

3. Went to the cinema last night to see 'Sisters' which was very rude but also very funny.

Well I've only been awake a hour or so but:

1.Yesterday I made plans for today to go visit with a guy I did lots of work for in the past, I'm gonna go visit him and his wife today.

2.Tornadoes have been everywhere here the last evening & thankfully not effected anyone.

3. I've made supportive friendship here on the Widda forum....

That's be a enormous blessing

1. Went into Edinburgh today with child #3, it is lovely to spend time alone with her. We had some tough talking to do, but it went OK.

2. Went to a lovely vegan cafe for lunch.

3. Started holiday hunting for 2016, nothing sorted yet but the hunting is fun.

This Christmas, we changed it up yet again!  Out of fear of pain, we have changed it up quite a bit.  Last year, the house was so festive!  I got a baby tree to place in the family room and my DD wanted to stay home.  We opened presents Christmas morning and then I took a prime rib to the cousins.  This year, we went to my cousin's Christmas Eve (I won't tell you about the craptastic afternoon) after letting go a small hurt (after all - it's all small in comparison to the big hurt).  Again we opened Christmas gifts Christmas morning and headed into Seattle to spend the next two days. 

I am so grateful:

1.  For this beautiful, big hearted kid of mine - she and I are on this journey together

2.  Being able to spend the two days with my DD and pups at a pet friendly hotel and city

3.  The sweet server at the Irish pub, Sinead - she was a dear and gave me a hug when we left

1. Packed up Christmas decorations.

2. Cleaned house, worked on laundry.

3. Made a birthday dinner and dessert for my 14yo daughter. We're meeting family at the restaurant of her choice on her birthday,  the 29th.

Icy roads, so we were stuck at home today.

1. Got a new tattoo after searching for the perfect artist for five years. It didn't hurt anywhere near as much as I remembered my first one hurting. Guess our pain thresholds as widows are extremely high!

2. Played my childhood piano into the wee hours last night. Many songs from musicals that make me happy.

3. Finally had the privacy for a good cry (after almost a week of being stuck with small children and family)

1. Started the day at the gym, weights and then a swim, sauna and jacuzzi.

2. Got lots of recycling done. I am moving in May to a new home right in the middle of the city, it is being built just now and I am pretty excited about it but am taking the opportunity to get rid of lots of clutter. Today I managed to sort all the photos without crying. I also took lots of stuff to be recycled which always feels good.

It's going to look like this. I am leaving my large family house on the edge of the city for a gorgeous apartment right in the centre, huge move for me (as I am sure you all can understand) and life will be very different, but I hope in a good way.

0939b61b26.jpg

3. Worked this evening (sad but true) and got lots of my planning done for next term as well as writing some social stories, finishing IEPs and printing child friendly target sheets, designing a form and completing a maths assessment exemplar for a course. I always work best when I have a clear list and focus on one job at a time and tonight I crossed loads off my list. Next term is going to be a busy one as I am leading some training sessions and need to get these all sorted too this week.

1.  Boys finished their Christmas thank you notes with very little prompting this year.  In the mail.

2.  Minimalism is reaping benefits with amount of house cleaning.  Closets hold everything and clutter is gone.

3.  New Year's Eve buffet and family sports activities planned at church.  Happy kids - Happy Momma.

Minimalism is on my agenda too mmg, for me the possessions have so little value now, I know for others the opposite is true.

1. I again spent a chunk of the day clearing out things. Since Graham died 3 and a half years ago now, a half eaten bar of his favourite chocolate has remained in his bedside cabinet. It was time to throw it out and it's now gone.

2. Headed into Edinburgh this evening for some Turkish food with friends, they did a mezze meal and the starter selection would have been enough without the mains. Wonderful food.

3. The same friends and I went to see some hip-hop improvisation after eating, the trio were genius.

Tomorrow is a huge day for me and I am facing the biggest of all of my demons. After so many years of hosting a Hogmanay party and always having a houseful of people I will be alone for 'the bells'. Being alone has been the thing I have found toughest of all as a widow, being alone on Hogmanay would be a huge deal for anyone Scottish. It will be a huge test of character. My survival record so far is impeccable, all passes with no fail and tomorrow is just another day to get through.

1. I only have to work a half day at work today and it is sloooooooooow.

2. It is looking probable that some time after the new year I will move into a new position within my department that takes me out of the daily grind and allows me to focus more on big picture development for the team, which I am more passionate about.

3. I went to the zoo yesterday with Justin and his DD. We had a great time. :)

1. I survived the evening alone. Didn't even cry that much, Netflix was pretty good company.

2. Slept very well in my new bed sheets, 500 thread count, Egyptian cotton, Italian weave, so soft.

3. I managed to rein it in and not said any of the things to friends and relatives I would like to have said.

Onwards and upwards.

1. New girl's family like me and I got in so well with them. It was our first meet over new year. They talked comfortably about my widow status in a way that was comfortable for me too.

2. I got to play with their dog. I loved cuddling her.

3. My new tattoo is healing beautifully.

1. Started the day with a TRX/swim session. The exercise is really helping my mood.

2. Got more sorting done, kinda chuffed at how much I managed to do this holiday.

3. Chatting to a nice guy on a dating site at the moment. A little flirtatious hope is always welcome.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the tattoo Grace. Thanks to you too Trying for posting  =)

1. Went to church with a friend, the journey was lovely but I could not stay today, too difficult. I am very grateful to my friends who support me when the going gets tough.

2. Took down the Christmas tree decorations, a friend came round and helped. All of the decorations are now packed away ready to move.

3. Yoga session this evening, I loved this.