My FIL died today...

Wheelerswife

He was a really, really good man.  He was the father of my first husband.  My husband was born with a genetic disease called Spinal Muscular Atrophy.  He was never able to walk.  When my husband was 2 1/2, his parents were told that he would be dead by the age of 5.  My MIL retreated into depression with this news and my FIL became my husband's primary caregiver.  (MIL came back around when it became evident that her son wasn't really dying as doctors had predicted.) FIL would have done anything in his power to help his son, including icing and stretching out his legs every day and putting him into long leg braces and a standing box so that his spine would grow straighter.  He never gave up on his son and believed his son could have a good life, which he did.  Toward the end of my husband's life, when he was as fragile and dependent as an infant, my FIL would come by the house every weekday morning and patiently feed my husband breakfast one bite at a time and wait for my husband's personal assistant to arrive for his shift (after I had gone to work.)  My FIL had his first heart attack in his late 30's and feared he would not live to be able to help his son when his son needed him.  He outlived his son by 5 1/2 years.  In the end, Alzheimer's disease and pneumonia got him at age 86.

My FIL and I had a sweet and flirty relationship.  He always smiled when he saw me, even when in the depths of the disease that robbed him of his memory and ability to communicate effectively.  When my parents refused to come to my wedding, my FIL came to comfort me.  He was a better father to me than my own father.  He loved me for me, and for loving his son.

I'll probably screw up the end of my semester by doing this, but I'm flying home to attend the funeral this weekend.  I need to say goodbye to this man who loved me like a father should love his daughter.  I don't know what it will be like seeing my SIL and BIL and their families, since I never see them when I go back east.  My MIL will likely be very frail and I don't think she will stick around on earth much longer.  She lost a lot of the will to live when her son died, and now that she has walked her husband to death's door, I think her time will come fairly quickly. 

I imagine I'll walk into that same mortuary where we held my husband's funeral.  I will see the same rabbi that handed me the shovel to toss dirt onto my husband's casket.  I will sit shiva with family and see the spread of Jewish foods.  I know it is going to unbury some sad memories, too.  I need to do this, though.  I'm going....

Maureen

Oh Maureen, I am so sorry. I am crying my eyes out reading your post. I totally understand that you want to be there for the funeral and I have been told by a Jewish friend, that the Jewish way of parting with a dead is very social and the deceased is celebrated and I believe strongly that helps and hopefully lets you go back home feeling more at peace.

Many hugs, Maureen.

Maureen I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were blessed with a truly wonderful relationship with him.  I know you will have courage and I pray you have the strength to handle being back there in that place under these circumstances. (((HUGS)))

Dear, sweet Maureen, I wish I had something better to say than, just to say I am sorry, but right now, I just have no words. I am sending you tight hugs and warm wishes. I know how inadequate those words are. I just wish I could do more.