Confessions of a widow

Tweety76

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TooSoon

In a related confession, I send my daughter to the aftercare program at her school even on days when I don't have to because the kids do their homework first thing there and it is always done when I pick her up and then I don't have to deal with it.....bad mommy. 

I just poured my beer over ice because I couldn't wait for it to cool down in the refridgerator.....or even the freezer

Edited to add: I've only go through about half a dozen beer a month  so not really showing alcoholic tendancies.....just felt like I was a tad impatient for my friday beer this week!

I just poured my beer over ice because I couldn't wait for it to cool down in the refridgerator.....or even the freezer

Edited to add: I've only go through about half a dozen beer a month  so not really showing alcoholic tendancies.....just felt like I was a tad impatient for my friday beer this week!

Next time roll the can in ice water. Works like a charm!

Guest TooSoon

Don't worry, Donswife, I've managed to create a pretty real (in my mind only) delusional parallel life where I actually live in a little brick row home in south Philadelphia where I can live with no car, buy all of my food at the little shops near by and spend my weekends in city parks or walking along the river or taking the train to the shore or going to museums and shows and street fairs.  I could go on - this alternate universe is highly elaborate and crystal clear in my mind.....sadly, only in my mind for the time being...

I confessed this one to my son last night, sometimes I just want to be left alone to sit on my couch and veg in silence. If my kids are invading my space I turn on bad reality shows like the Kardashians and it clears the room in 2 seconds! Then I can turn something interesting back on.

I am in need of another adult only trip/weekend. Love my kids dearly...but every weekend NG and I shuffle kids activities, parties, they go with us to dinner/movies and we have to hide in the garage late at night to have sex.

We haven't had alone time since Vegas....That was in July I think. 

I also enjoy my 8 year old daughters company better than my preteen sons.

Guest TooSoon

My daughter's therapist is like my BFF.  She'll ostensibly call about scheduling a meeting but then we're on the phone for another 45 minutes talking about her latest river cruise in Europe or this or that show she's seen most recently at a museum.  B.F.F.s.  She's 70 and her own daughters are my age.  Again, life is strange.

Don't worry, Donswife, I've managed to create a pretty real (in my mind only) delusional parallel life where I actually live in a little brick row home in south Philadelphia where I can live with no car, buy all of my food at the little shops near by and spend my weekends in city parks or walking along the river or taking the train to the shore or going to museums and shows and street fairs.  I could go on - this alternate universe is highly elaborate and crystal clear in my mind.....sadly, only in my mind for the time being...

This is pretty funny, because I went through a period where I was obsessed with tiny houses. I would fantasized about living in the woods, with my own compound: my tiny house, a tiny guest cottage for when my daughter would visit, with a third common structure for dining/entertaining occasionally with a full kitchen. Living off the grid, or as near to it as I could. Saturdays spent chopping wood for my wood-burning stove. A real hermit's life.

Then, I fell in love again and realized I didn't want to be Thoreau :-)

This is pretty funny, because I went through a period where I was obsessed with tiny houses. I would fantasized about living in the woods, with my own compound: my tiny house, a tiny guest cottage for when my daughter would visit, with a third common structure for dining/entertaining occasionally with a full kitchen. Living off the grid, or as near to it as I could. Saturdays spent chopping wood for my wood-burning stove. A real hermit's life.

This is pretty much what I did for the first several months. Catherine and I used to watch a Canadian TV show called Survivorman. Each week, the host chose a different wilderness locale to live in alone for 7 days. He took all the camera gear with him and had an ostensibly random assortment of items to survive with. He always built shelter, started fires and foraged for food.

After Catherine died, I watched a lot of TV, including Survivorman. I went to sleep each night imagining that I was sleeping in a tiny makeshift shelter that I had built in the woods.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

I have a "lonely widower" confession of my own to make.

My co-worker is an amateur classical pianist. He invited me to see him perform at a group recital weekend. At first I begged off since I don't listen to classical music and typically do other things on Sundays. I later changed my mind, though, because this was an opportunity to meet new people.

I arrived at this public hall on Sunday and was surprised to find a nearly full house. I didn't meet any one who was single, though. A woman sat down in front of me with her husband. Since everyone was seated in folding chairs, I could see she was wearing jeans without a belt. She also seemed to be on a commando mission.

So, I confess that I was distracted by the moon as it waxed and waned through selected opuses of Brahms and Chopin. All I could do was smile and listen to the music.

My co-worker played his two pieces very well.  And though I didn't make any new friends that day, I was entertained beyond my expectations.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

Guest TooSoon

This is pretty much what I did for the first several months. Catherine and I used to watch a Canadian TV show called Survivorman. Each week, the host chose a different wilderness locale to live in alone for 7 days. He took all the camera gear with him and had an ostensibly random assortment of items to survive with. He always built shelter, started fires and foraged for food.

After Catherine died, I watched a lot of TV, including Survivorman. I went to sleep each night imagining that I was sleeping in a tiny makeshift shelter that I had built in the woods.

I like to mix it up a bit with my escapist fantasies....

In addition to the (actually somewhat plausible) Philadelphia delusion, there is the scrap it all, move to idyllic small town somewhere like Burlington, VT and become master artisanal vegan cheese maker (my delusions are also pretty specific. know thyself).

There is the disturbing go back to school for another graduate degree (disturbing because it took me 10 years to get the one I do have).  I actually just made a dinner date with an older single Mom friend who did just this when her kids were the same age as mine is.  That's how far I'm willing to take these fantasies...there's no way I'm going back to school; since I teach college, I'm already (or still) technically going to school.

Then there is the liquidate all world possessions, pack up child and start over someplace random like Porto, Portugal or Managua, Nicaragua or Korcula, Croatia (this list, too, is long) live by the beach, soak up sun, watch stars, read all of the great books, learn language, drink lots of coffee and wine....

Shall I go on? 

I love the off the grid, tiny house fantasy. I'm already a hermit. Even when I was married, I would take off for a couple of weeks at a time to go "gorilla camping" just to recharge enough to face civilization. I like solitude. But my kids need me to be present...so the fantasy will have to wait a few years.

Then there is the liquidate all world possessions, pack up child and start over someplace random like Porto, Portugal or Managua, Nicaragua or Korcula, Croatia (this list, too, is long) live by the beach, soak up sun, watch stars, read all of the great books, learn language, drink lots of coffee and wine....

Shall I go on?

I like the way you think. If it were my daughter who was the youngest child, we would probably be living in Costa Rica right now. Instead she is chasing her dreams as a musical theater student in New York City. I have suggested to my son that we should move to England and follow the premier league or better yet move to some Mexican coastal village and surf every day. But he just wants to stay here. I think of different locals around the world that I could possibly live when DS gets out of high school in a few years.

I am trying to force my brain into a more positive mindset-- every time I tell myself "no one will ever want me again," I stop and correct it to "someone, somewhere, might possibly want me someday." But I don't really believe it. I don't want to do this anymore. I don't even want to think about it. So why the hell can't I just STOP???

• 2 weeks later...

I threw out his cigarette buds from the ash tray and then really regretted it. Wish I kept them.

After years of telling him that smoking is bad for his health... I started smoking to feel closer to him. Get a coffee in the morning( the way he had it) and have a smoke. As if replicating his habits brings me closer to him.