Spreading Kindness thread

DonnaP

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend that when she was 9 months pregnant and due to deliver on a Monday by C-section (21 years ago), she ended up having pains on Saturday, went to the hospital and they sent her home.  By Monday, there was no heartbeat, she had to give birth and then bury her baby girl.  The baby had separated from the placenta.

That was 21 years ago yesterday.  My friend is now divorced, for 8 years (or more) and is struggling financially and doesn't really have a lot.

Well, Yesterday, I went to Rebecca's grave and put a solar light and a Butterfly stepping stone next to it.  She would have been 21.  Just wanted my friend to know that I remembered and it felt really good doing that for her.

I started a non-profit to help kids with special needs. My son is 8 and has autism. We work on social skills, self esteem and offer information and guidance to parents. The long term vision is to help these kids become more independent and employable.

I got a phone call from a social worker inquiring if the program would be suitable for a 9 year old she knows. Next thing we are talking about another young man she is working with who is 26 and has autism. Michael plays guitar and sings. He wanted a job performing. He will be helping us with our music program for April.

Evidently our long term vision needs a new timeline! LOL!

:)

Eileen

3/24

Mailed a bday card to my son, who lives in NYC.

Stopped by my hair stylist's new salon and dropped off a "treat."

Brought SD a Starbucks "just because."

Brought a bag of Dove dark chocolate eggs in for my coworkers to enjoy.

3/24

Brought a bag of Dove dark chocolate eggs in for my coworkers to enjoy.

This is not the first time I have seen your post of goodies for your coworkers ha ha!!! Kind yet evil all at the same time ha ha!

Recently a large number of people have lost their low income benefits for residential phone service. The program used to be a straight shot and painless process. However, with cell phones becoming main stream, there is assistance for that as well, and you can have one OR the other. This assistance has been around since the 30's, so please don't let this start a political up roar!!

With this recent influx of people dropped, it has caused a major backlog in a process that went from taking minutes to resolve, will now take 8 weeks (new norm is 3 weeks)

Depending on the state, this can mean an increase of $10-25 per month increase. Penny's to many, but drastic increase to a lot of extremely tight budgets. I would be fulfilling my job requirements by advising them of the guidelines and getting them off my line. However, to me they are just as, if not more important than our customers that spend on average $175 per mo. Average bill of this type of customer is $3.00-25.00 per month.

I follow up each and everyone, confirming a time I can call them back and let them know the status of their benefit. Guide them thru the difficult new process, as most of these customers are our elderly. Something our loved ones never got to be.

Guest marian1953

donated 5,000 air miles to doctors without borders. Bought new clothes for my step son because his mother seems to spend the child support on herself. Does it still count if she annoys me?

Marian

1) I offered to give up my lunch on Monday, to help a student complete an assignment for his science class.  The student is not one of my students, but one who needs a little extra help. 

2) I gave a student $1.00 for a replacement bus pass, because he lost his for the third time and didn't want to get a detention for not having one.

3) I gave another student $1.00 to buy a snack during lunch.

4) I offered to open my room up as a "holding room" for students, who cannot attend next week's variety show, due to having too many demerits for behavior.

5) I sent a note to the office, asking them if they would be wiling to allow a student to work off one of his demerits, because I received a really good report from his math teacher.

You know what's cool?

The kindnesses I've implemented are starting to be just normal behavior.

In other words, I'm trying to think, "ok, what kindnesses have I done today?" and I can think of several: (1) cooking a nice meal for my mom; (2) driving home myself and encouraging my husband to ride back in his daughter's car so she wouldn't have to drive alone; (3) inviting extra family members to the "small" family dinner I was planning on Saturday; (4) picking my Mom up and driving her home from my nephew's house, so she could go visit our newest family member, my great-nephew (cute little guy).

But after thinking about it, my first reaction is that those were just normal behaviors on my part, not really "kindnesses." But, isn't that the point of all this anyway? Making our everyday behavior more about kindness??

On Saturday, Andrew gets credit for a kindness -- he donated $$ to the local disabled veterans association.

GO TEAM!!

Saturday while out in the neighborhood, I could hear a commotion and children crying.  Noticed it was a neighbor that is much younger with 2 toddlers.  The problem was she needed to go to grocery store and the toddlers did not want to go.  I offered to watch the toddlers, actually I had to insist I watch them and she should have a shopping trip alone.  I plan on repeating this kindness more often. 

Delivered vases of flowers from the church to a nursing home.

My goal is to be like DonnaP and make kindness a habit that is just a part of living.

Today I killed two birds with one stone (no - not LITERALLY)...

In my de-cluttering purge, I found a cute necklace that someone left at my house years ago. It's a small cupcake -- something a little girl would like. Since there are no little girls in my household at the moment, I brought the necklace to work and gave it to a co-worker who has a 7-yr-old daughter. Hoping it will put a smile on her face.

Hugs, DonnaP... Have a great lunch with you sister!

Yesterday and Today I helped my Sister in Law tear down an old barn that she wants to put back up in her yard.  Tons of work, my house is a mess, but we got it down. 

When I do a small job for someone who offers to pay me for the work, I tell them "If you get a chance, please pay it forward." Phrasing it that way doesn't obligate them although I secretly hope it will be a catalyst for something good to happen later.

I hosted my family's Easter dinner at my house.  Didn't want to, but my sisters weren't stepping up, and wanted it easier on my parents.  All in all, it was actually good for me that it was at my house.