On line dating vents and laughs......

momtokam

I always found the most confusing messages were the unsolicited penis pics... Does that ever work?! I became expert at knowing the block feature on the sites I was on.

And then I weeded through all the men and found a keeper. It was entertaining and funny and sometimes sad and lonely.

I always found the most confusing messages were the unsolicited penis pics... Does that ever work?!

In a word, "Yes". That's why they do it. It's purely a numbers game. If the guy sends out 100 p pics and he gets 2 interested replies, he considers it a win. (Actually two wins) Believe me, there is always that percentage of any population that will respond to outrageous behavior.

The reverse happens too - morally broken women send unsolicited mommy part pictures to their targets. Many times, it gets a rise out them. Ummm. . . . . well, you know what I mean.  :-[

Mike

I always found the most confusing messages were the unsolicited penis pics... Does that ever work?!

In a word, "Yes". That's why they do it. It's purely a numbers game. If the guy sends out 100 p pics and he gets 2 interested replies, he considers it a win. (Actually two wins) Believe me, there is always that percentage of any population that will respond to outrageous behavior.

The reverse happens too - morally broken women send unsolicited mommy part pictures to their targets. Many times, it gets a rise out them. Ummm. . . . . well, you know what I mean.  :-[

Mike

I disagree. My sense is it's more of a kind of virtual assault; guys enjoy making women really uncomfortable with their junk.

Guest TormentedTwoStep

I disagree. My sense is it's more of a kind of virtual assault; guys enjoy making women really uncomfortable with their junk.

Not this guy!  I always enjoyed making one woman feel really "comfortable" with my junk.  Though it's been so long I don't know about that capability any longer.

I am an Engineer and I design pipelines, what's the big deal?

And if you messaged me on a dating site I would be suspicious now.

Why the scammers have chosen this MO, I have no idea!

No word of a lie, I've had at least 5 scammers like this!  😨

I hate the ghosting that goes on, on dating sites. Some guy contacted me last week (cute, professional), we emailed back and forth a few times and he seemed very eager to meet up for drinks. We were supposed to meet tonight so I emailed him yesterday to check in and sort out plans....I could tell he read my email but no response (so rude!!) .....Since I had to change my train schedule, sort out babysitting to plan this date I was pretty annoyed. So I blocked him and planned a new date with a new man. NEXT !

Fun right? 😕

Unbelievable I know. This drove me insane too.

I always found the most confusing messages were the unsolicited penis pics... Does that ever work?! I became expert at knowing the block feature on the sites I was on.

And then I weeded through all the men and found a keeper. It was entertaining and funny and sometimes sad and lonely.

You know, out of all the crazies I've had, only one ever did this.

I did respond to some of the crude messages I received, asking if it actually worked for them. 😀

If one more guy starts a conversation with me , just to poof into thin air I'm going to go crazy . I could see if I said I have three heads , 85 children , and male female parts... Then yes, run.. But I'm talking where do you live, kids .. And poof ...

OK - I have a good one. On the first go around on Match.com 2 years ago, I was "dating" this guy in Boston who was slightly older, we had a lot in common and he seemed like a decent chap. Never got physical so pretty casual relationship and he went "poof" on me one day. I wasn't too upset, met someone I liked much better anyway. BUT he resurfaces about a year later (by then I had deleted his number on my cell) and checked in to see how I am and my son is. I was polite but didn't reply to his last text. THEN about 6 months ago he sends me some pervy texts out of the blue - really inappropriate so I asked him to leave me alone, that his behavior was beyond offensive. His response - "Well, I am a pervert and you are a princess so we would make a great match"...Im serious...SOOO I blocked him and moved on. WELL, last night I received a message from him on Match.com (new pen name) that acted like none of this had transpired - he said "Hi Gorgeous, was wondering how you were. Thought it would be nice to get together and catch up....etc." WOW - are you kidding me ? I didn't respond and blocked him right away. Creep....

Met a guy online once.  Hadn't communicated much, but accepted his invitation to dinner.  While waiting for our table in the bar area, another man sitting next to me says hello.  I greeted him back.  As my date continued on with the online guy, it just got worse and worse.  I couldn't get out of that restaurant fast enough.  The next day I went to a fundraiser.  The guy that said hello to me from the night before, recognized me immediately and came rushing up to me.  Said "hey didn't I see you last night as such and such a restaurant".  I recognized him and we had a good laugh over my disaster of a date.  He said he could tell right away that I had way too much class for that other guy and he'd love to take me to dinner.  I wasn't attracted to him, wasn't feeling it, so instead I got his number.  He couldn't find a pen and paper fast enough to write it down and give it to me.  So I waited, thought about it, and decided to go ahead and contact him.  He asked me out to dinner for the following weekend.  Ok, I thought.  He seems like a nice guy and seems genuinely interested.  So we had plans to meet for dinner on a Saturday night.  One hour before he texts me and tells me he can't make it.  No explanation.  No nothing.  Just sorry, I can't make it.  So it's not just the online guys that go poof.  The ones you meet in real life do too.  I read once that you need a thick skin if you're going to date.  So I decided I'm going to keep my skin the thickness it is naturally, and just forgo the dating scene.

CW a guy that I went on a few dates with last fall who then disappeared contacted me recently too, although not nearly as offensive. Said he was sorry, his mom and his dog got sick, he got a new job, blah blah blah. He was sorry he hadn't reached out earlier. (In other words, pickings on OKCupid got pretty slim). So I thought I'd be magnanimous; I wrote back, saying I was sorry to hear he had such a tough time, it's normally a hard time for me but I met a wonderful guy who I've been seeing the last few months. He wrote back saying that's great that I met someone, he hasn't gone out with anyone since, he realized he needed to work on himself, and that he's sorry he dropped off but he's bad at those sorts of conversations. (In other words, he's a giant pussy). I thought okay, that's cool, I was polite, but that should close things. But then a few days later he sent me a message recommending some music. Oh no dear, this is not a thing here. I appreciate your apology, I guess but yeah, I've moved on to MUCH better things. Bye dude.

• Like 1

Not so much a vent....but I think I'm doing this online thing wrong  :P

him: nice

(not even sure why I responded)

me:  nice ?  but thank you

Him: nice profile

Me:  thanks.  How are you today?

Him:  I'm well.  So coffee in an hour?

UMMMM  after 4 words?  I don't think so

Guest TalksToAngels

That's funny Mrs. Dan. A giant one ; )

Mrskro you should have responded you don't drink coffee.

And if you wrote him back nice I guarantee he would respond the same.

Nice..

Nice what ?

Ass.

(You're an Ass ; )

Gah.  I took the plunge a month or so ago and made a profile on Match.com  but didn't activate it.  Or so I thought. I mean, I didn't pay for anything, just kind of did a rough draft thing I did as a mental test run.  Despite that, I'm getting spammed with all these "so and so winked at you!" or "N women checked yes!" emails.  No idea if they're real or if it's just the service trying to soak me for cash.  Either way, it's incredibly cheesy. I know it's the service and not really the women concerned, but still: Holy Buzzkill, Batman.

Hate the very idea of online dating, but-- and I know I'm not the first to say this-- all the age appropriate (late thirties to forties) women I know are married, gay, or crazy. Sometimes all three.

Guest TalksToAngels

Quixote even though you made a rough draft it is visible to others. You just can't respond until you pay. Yes it's their way of sucking you in, I once got 30 some odd "likes", winks, messages, etc. when I paid none of them responded. And trying to close your account will never happen. Profiles are left on indefinitely to make it appear there's these huge amounts of people that want to meet you.

It's BS.

Everyone should hide their match.com account if they are not looking.  If you don't, your image will be used to try to interest others and will sometimes generate fake views even if you stop logging in.

I think I am hiding my account tomorrow.  The five-date widda I took on a picnic a couple of weeks ago seems to have gone poof - I'd asked her to breakfast on her day off tomorrow, but it's been enough days since I heard back that I don't expect to do so.  I hadn't thought she was a poofer, but you never know.  If I try to Get A Life in April and actually try to get some PICTURES OF MYSELF WITH OTHER PEOPLE, maybe I will come across better.

Take care,

Rob T

Yeah, I don't think I would have stuck with Match either it it had not been for all the success stories with friends and acquaintances that made me persistent. I just want to nod my head at what everyone is saying here. The scams, the pervs, the losers, the ones who contact you months and months later after going "poof" or after clearly not being a good match. Ugh.

Here is a crazy success story:

I have two very good friends, both divorced after horrible marriages, who met on Match ten years ago. My female friend absolutely refused to do a profile, wanted nothing to do with it. But, she did peruse the male profiles with a friend and took an interest in one particular guy. His profile name contained a four digit number, so she assumed perhaps it was his home phone number (What are the chances it was not a cell??) and went through the phone book for hours until she found a name and address with that number. She wrote him a letter. He responded. They met. Her name is Kathy. He was dating two other Kathys at the time. It was not long until he was dating one Kathy---her. They have been married seven years now, managed to combine their families beautifully, and are one of the happiest couples I know. Lucky them!

Soooo, I thought maybe the 1st day of spring held a little promise, so I unhid my profiles....

Him...

My name is XXX and I am a 53 years old straight male. 5'10" tall 170 lbs Short grey hair and brown eyes.

I too am looking for a woman who may not like but understands my crazy work hours and wants one person to spend time together and have a special friendship. I have great endurance and I love to lick xxxx for hours

Me....

So tell me XXX, does this approach of an opening message actually work for you?

I seriously must be doing something totally wrong on here then.

Him ...

no wasn't thinking sorry

Hey, at least I received an apology....That is a first!

Oh....the men going poof...they don't seem to be slowing down at all.

Everyone should hide their match.com account if they are not looking.  If you don't, your image will be used to try to interest others and will sometimes generate fake views even if you stop logging in.

I think I am hiding my account tomorrow.  The five-date widda I took on a picnic a couple of weeks ago seems to have gone poof - I'd asked her to breakfast on her day off tomorrow, but it's been enough days since I heard back that I don't expect to do so.  I hadn't thought she was a poofer, but you never know.  If I try to Get A Life in April and actually try to get some PICTURES OF MYSELF WITH OTHER PEOPLE, maybe I will come across better.

Take care,

Rob T

Yes, always hide your profile. If yoy won't be back for a while, delete the pictures as well, just in case. You never know what can be done with them if they still exist on there.

I'm sorry about 5 date widda. I know you were hopeful.