On line dating vents and laughs......

momtokam

So after being turned off by match and pof .. My friend convinced me to try tinder. I do like a lot about it. Of course normal, guys email then poof...one guy though , darn I wished I screenshot it to show you guys. He basically needed to know my freak factor and what I'm willing to do behind closed doors. Told him shame he didn't try to meet me or get to know me first , that I've been known to bring men to their knees. His response , no women will ever do that to me , then wait...  so what do you do ? Lmao ... Block , next . 

Guest TalksToAngels

Love how everything is "studies say". Who the heck are they interviewing anyway.

My analysis of over 45 dating sites is that almost everybody you will meet are fed up w the sites, have been in multiple relationships, and will gladly tell you ALL about them, including sexual details which will make you wish you stayed home and watched Netflix.

Really sad pool. Think I'll stay on the dry sand.

Guest nonesuch

Does pipeline engineer = overseas a lot, and frequently needs money wired to him to cover expenses?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Well, I guess I'm going to get my first opportunity to post on this thread.  I've opened myself up to the possibilities of meeting new people.  I've had a couple first dates, nice men, but definitely not the right men for me.  They were the kinds of situations where it didn't take long to know that there wasn't any chemistry at all, but they weren't uncomfortable, either.  Then there was the guy I met waiting in line at the deli counter at the grocery store.

I was wearing a fleece jacket with a logo from my university.  He struck up a conversation by asking me if I worked at the university.  I told him I was a student.  We continued our conversation for several minutes, discussing education...he has a bachelor's degree, a master's degree and an MBA.  He had received his first degree from my university, and he had moved back to the area recently.  He asked me if I would be interested in having dinner some time.  I said sure...and I gave him my phone number.  He texted me the next day and asked me out to dinner.  We made plans.  We met at a local restaurant.  I asked him a few questions about his past, where he had lived, why he had returned to the area.  He skirted some questions and said he didn't want to talk about our pasts, just move forward.  I wasn't having it.  My spidey senses were at full attention.  I told him that our pasts were a part of us, and I needed to understand where he came from and that I was not going to pretend anyone's past didn't exist.  He realized that I meant what I said.  Things would go nowhere if he didn't level with me.  So...he started leveling with me...somewhat.  I could tell he was hiding things.  I kept a really calm and accepting exterior, all-the-while becoming more concerned.  Eventually, some truth started coming out.  He has some level of a drinking problem, has at least one DUI back in Texas, he has been arrested for domestic violence and he and his ex-wife were charged with tax evasion - 7 years that his ex-wife apparently didn't file their taxes.  I'm not sure how such a highly educated man doesn't know he hasn't signed his tax forms!  He used to live in high society and can name drop all over the place, but right now, he is living in a completely VA supported apartment, gets support from the Salvation Army, doesn't have a penny to his name....and he feels entitled to all of the support he is getting.  He managed to blame everyone but himself for his own predicament.  He tried to tell me just how brilliant he is - MENSA brilliant.  Perhaps he is smart, but he wasn't too perceptive about me.  And...he couldn't even pay for his own dinner.  I managed to be kind to him and treat him with dignity, but I let him know I wasn't attracted to him.  He persisted in texting me and I finally had to bluntly say that his communication needed to stop and I wasn't going to remain in contact.

UGH!  Dating in small town America!

Maybe I just need to give up on this idea.

Maureen

Maureen,

Congrats for trying to get out and meet new people BUT:

that fellow drinks and has been charged for domestic violence...hmmm,well I doubt you missed anything substantial in him.

Personally I tried to make a date with a local lady & through talking to her I had a realisation, I'm afraid I'm not ready.

Once I heard the sports bar,going out and all well I just gave up, I'm not the bar type and enjoy more personal connections between men + women.

Best to you all next time

Maureen, don't give up!

It's so good that you are getting yourself out there.

Many Mr Wrongs will cross our paths before the Mr Right will.

Take it one day at a time and remember to laugh at these experiences  because laughing is way better than crying! 😊

Does pipeline engineer = overseas a lot, and frequently needs money wired to him to cover expenses?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Never got far enough to find out! 

Engineer #2 went POOF when I mentioned my coincidence chatting with another widower, new in town, pipeline engineer! 😁😁😁😁

Maureen,

Wow. I had a couple of dates like that, too. Seemingly nice guys on the surface, but yeah, that feeling that there may be some history looming beneath the surface. I am a snoop. I actually went on my state's court site where you can plug a name in and up pops all kinds of interesting things. The domestic abuse thing ruled out even a first meeting. I don't care what his side of the story is. I don't want to sort it out. NEXT!!!

NG received the same snoop treatment from me. His divorce was listed along with a speeding ticket ten years ago. That was all. No lawsuits, no bankruptcies, no domestic abuse, no back child support, no DUIs.

DING DING DING!!!!!  We have a winner!!!!

Hang in there! There are nice guys to be had. You will find him!

I'm just not cut out for this online dating thing....

Guy ....Hey there, how are you doing today?

me .... Hello,  I'm pretty good.  How are you? 

Guy ...I'm ok, just trying to stay warm (it was -30 here that day.

me ....  lol  I know what you mean, I was in an arena for hockey earlier and it was warmer inside! 

Guy ...  Well come over here and I'll keep you warm.

Me ** head bang**

Another, new to my town, widower, gold merchant this time....

Do I have "Scammer Target" tattooed to my forehead in my profile pictures?

I'm so fed up, I'm done! It's just not meant to be!

I think it's everyone - I get more scammers than anything else. I amuse myself by calling them out on their shenanigans.

Another, new to my town, widower, gold merchant this time....

Do I have "Scammer Target" tattooed to my forehead in my profile pictures?

I'm so fed up, I'm done! It's just not meant to be!

I think it's everyone - I get more scammers than anything else. I amuse myself by calling them out on their shenanigans.

I call them out on it too......I also will waste some of their time on purpose if I'm bored!

It's just getting to be way more than I've had before.

I think it's time for a break.  I will have to rely on you all to share some laughs with me!

I know nothing should surprise me anymore , but I guess I'm naive . So just in last two months... Three guys online ( different sites ) one was separated for a second , back with wife but profile still up . Another guy , wife is in rehab for drugs and yup he's online, last one , as far as I know still married, still showing united front with wife , but online. (Tinder) That one I want to call out .. Small town so I know these guys . I swear I'm naive .. Is this really how people are now ? Ps not to mention the people I know who are having affairs , just not online.

Guest nonesuch

One of my Facebook friends is a man I had a terrible crush on in high school.

Ya know that song "I thank God for unanswered prayers"?

Once we became Facebook friends, is profile said. "It's complicated"

A couple weeks later he was "married."

A couple weeks after this it was "single"

Soon it was "In a relationship" along with lovey-dovey posts to the new girl.You know, "I'm in love with the most wonderful girl.  ...I love you Shmoopie" etc.  I thought, "Dude, stop!  You're still married to someone,  Just. Shut. Up."

Guest nonesuch

I got a generic introductory email in response to a Craig's List ad.

The  responder had sent the same note to three other recipients, and had forgotten to use the BCC option, so I saw their addresses.

The guys at work wanted to fix me up with someone they knew. Same trade as I'm in, he's personable, reliable, a widower...

Then the fellow suddenly up and marries a man. 

You would think my stubborn head would learn to stop saying NEVER.  I am on line, just 2 weeks.  My widowed brother waited his obligatory yr. to get on line/date, and he has met a lovely lady, so far.  He is 16 yrs. older than me, no kids, and only married once at age 50 to have his bride succumb to cancer 10 yrs. in.  But I decided if my crazy brother could, I could.  I appreciate all the comments here.  I have two single friends giving me guidance, safety issues, etc.

Never say never... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - on a whim and out of restlessness I resigned up to Match.com over the weekend just to dip my toes in the water after a bad break up a month ago. Although I have had a lot of obligatory "hi" or double "hi" emails, I observed something new- some men now have these long, canned reach out emails so it looks as though they are sending you a thoughtful personalized email but it's really a copy and paste (generic sentences describing your profile plus tidbits about their life and interests). I just got one very corny one and wish I could figure out how to copy and paste it here from the site via my iPad.

Sunshinefl..... I just went back to try plenty of fish . I tried tinder .. Which was married guy after the next , or old profiles not to hopeful with online . However keep saying , it only takes one . And I'm hopeful for us all too !!!!!