Say Their Names (Resurrecting a favorite topic from the old board)

lcoxwell

One of my very favorite topics from YWBB was the "Say Their Name" thread. I don't remember who started it, but it was always one of my very favorites, because there was so much love poured out in the comments. On my really bad days, I could go there, read that thread, and find comfort.

From those of you who remember, or if the originator of that post just happens to be around, please, please correct me, if I get this wrong, as I would like to honor the purpose of the original post. As best as I can remember, the thread was started, because the people in our lives, for various reasons, avoid saying their names and seem uncomfortable when we do. There is such significance in saying our loved ones' names. So much of who they were, so much of our memories, so much of what we lost is connected to their names. There is a personal connection, that sometimes we just need to feel.

So now, once again, I would like to provide a place, where we can go to say their names.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His name was Kenneth, and he was my whole world. He felt things deeper and more profoundly, than any other man I have ever known. When he was angry, everyone knew to steer clear; and when he was happy, he could make the whole world smile with him. His laughter was infectious and drew people to him. He was course, irreverent, and cursed more than just about anyone I have ever met. He could tell a dirty joke or make up inappropriate lyrics to songs at the drop of the hat. At the same time, he could lay on the charm and engage just about anyone in conversation on just about any topic you would care to bring up.

When I met him, I was feeling adrift in a harsh world, and he saved me. He believed in me, more than I believed in myself. He encouraged me to pursue my dream of teaching, and he taught me that I could achieve anything, if I just set my mind to it and worked for it. He also taught me what it means to truly love and to be loved. He loved me with his whole heart, until his dying breath, and he loved my children as if they were his own. My life was better, because of him, and for that, I will be forever grateful.

His name was Shawn..Shawny..Shawnaboo..Sweetie..

He was the strongest person I ever knew.

He was blunt and honest, sarcastic and stubborn. He also had the kindest heart, was patient, loving, sincere, hardworking, smart and loved with all of his heart.

He was the type of guy who would help anyone, with anything, sometimes to the point where I would resent all the time he spent helping people out.

He wasn't perfect, but we were perfect together!

I miss him, I will always miss him...

This made me cry  I loved this one too!

His name was Gord ( saying this makes me cry) and he rocked my world. We just connected in so many ways. We had our troubles like all couples do but I can remember, he'd walk into a room and would catch his eye I'd just get that oh so feeling. Oh gosh I miss his love, gaze, smile and mutual sarcasm.  I just so much miss him so much in every way it hurts.

Guest tableforone

Leo. It seemed so unusual to me the night we met. I had never known anyone with that name. He was the kindest person I have ever known. Truly. Such quick wit and quiet humor. We adored each other. Every time I walked through or into a room where he was, he lit up. No person has ever looked at me with such love. Sigh to people dying so young. Leo.

His name is Brooks. Fiercely loyal to the ones he loved, a hard worker, quietly talented and intelligent--not one to boast or have a wish to be put on display. He had a deeply ingrained sense of fairness, of right and wrong. Inherent teaching aptitude--loved nothing more than teaching his nephews the mechanics of how something worked, patient as they learned. He wasn't overtly religious, but his faith was most assuredly his anchor. Idiosyncratically, the man had temper, and flares would often result in a litany of expletives!

On the less serious side, he was verbose, and had a propensity to chat up folks he'd only just met; just really interested in the world around him and the people that inhabit it. He loved to laugh, and was quick to smile no matter what he endured. He wasn't one to fret and worry. A clever mimic, he would crack me up with his impressions and sound effects that he'd punctuate his stories with. I called him Brooks Bear, and he dubbed me " Sugar Machine".

He was a family man. A good man. He was a well-suited husband to me, my matching bookend. After my divorce, Brooks had came along, and he restored my trust, and was a balm on my raw and tattered heart. He righted all the wrongs of my life, and I felt redeemed, in a sense.

How can you ever thank someone for a thing like that? I'm not sure I ever did do justice to the gratitude I felt for this wondrous creature that came passing through my life, renovating all aspects of it in his short while with me.

But, I unabashedly and breathlessly loved him. I'll love him until my heart fades from beating.

Baylee

He righted all the wrongs of my life, and I felt redeemed, in a sense.

How can you ever thank someone for a thing like that? I'm not sure I ever did do justice to the gratitude I felt for this wondrous creature that came passing through my life, renovating all aspects of it in his short while with me.

But, I unabashedly and breathlessly loved him. I'll love him until my heart fades from beating.

Baylee

Beautifully stated, Baylee. I could have said this very same thing about my Kenneth. I think our two men would have liked each other, had they ever met.

His name was Dan..Danny..Butch..Dad and, in August, would have been known as Grandpa.  A sweet and loving soul who was known for his smile, incredibly wide circle of friends, amazing ability to fix anything and a great attitude about living life to its fullest.  He loved me so much he married me twice and I struggle each and every day to wrap my mind around the fact that I will never see/touch him or share memories with him again.  He was my soulmate, life partner and absolute best friend forever.

Her name is Debbie  Deborah nana sweety.  She was my rock my filter and warden. She had a knack of dealing the idiots of the world and touched so many people in a positive way. I can only hope to be more loving caring and understanding like she was. She set the bar high and I'm trying to measure up

His name is Jon.  He was a wonderful man.  There is so much to say about him, and yet I struggle to find the words. 

He had an amazing heart, and was willing to help out anyone and everyone.  He had incredible patience (he needed it with me  :) ).  Wherever we went, he always had little facts about this historical place or that building, or that animal.  I miss going to the aquarium with him and not hear little tidbits about stingrays or sharks.  He loved family, and went above and beyond to stay close with those he could not be physically around all the time.  He had a gentle strength about him.  He always knew when I needed a little extra strength, and quietly held me up when I needed it.

He loved me and my kids, treating them as his own.  He was more of a father to my older three than my ex-husband ever will be.  And he was so excited and overjoyed when we brought our own bundle of joy into this world.  Our little girl has his amazing memory, and although she doesn't have any factual tidbits to relay to me (since she is only now three), I can definitely tell she will be telling me every little thing she learns in school.

He showed me what true love really felt like, really meant.  What it was like to be loved, and taught me how to love with all my heart in return.  Every morning, I would wake in the morning, see him next to me, and my soul would smile.  I smiled every day of our almost 7 years together. 

I miss him so much...

Thank you All for sharing your love story and spouse thoughts.  I'm sure, like I, it wasn't always roses but it was 'Us together' and that was what was so loving and heart wrenching to not have our 'Us' anymore.  It just seems so unfair. I miss him so much :(

Hugs to all of you

His name was Chad. I call him by his name on this board a lot, I realized the other day rather than DH or LH, I just feel compelled to use his name for this very reason.  Because so many wont.  He was a man tormented by addiction , paralyzed by fear and made many many mistakes.  But He was also a brilliant F-15 Strike Eagle mechanic. He was a big ol softie and wasn't afraid to cry at a sad movie, or over a song. He could be so silly and my kids loved to cut up with him.  He was constant and steady and never once let a day go by without telling me he loved me.  He was doggedly determined not to let me go. He always owned up to his shortcomings.  He would do just about anything anyone ever asked him to do. He was my person and I miss him so very very much.

His name was Chad. I call him by his name on this board a lot, I realized the other day rather than DH or LH, I just feel compelled to use his name for this very reason.  Because so many wont.  He was a man tormented by addiction , paralyzed by fear and made many many mistakes.  But He was also a brilliant F-15 Strike Eagle mechanic. He was a big ol softie and wasn't afraid to cry at a sad movie, or over a song. He could be so silly and my kids loved to cut up with him.  He was constant and steady and never once let a day go by without telling me he loved me.  He was doggedly determined not to let me go. He always owned up to his shortcomings.  He would do just about anything anyone ever asked him to do. He was my person and I miss him so very very much.

Carey, your Chad sounds so much like my Blaine.

His name was Blaine, I called him many things over the course of our short life together, I was just happy to call him mine.  At the time of his death he had celebrated 19 months of clean time, after 20 years of addiction this was wonderful . He wore his emotions on his sleeve and would tear up at movies or over music. Music was a big thing for us, if we could not find words to describe an emotion, we could definitely find a song. After life separated us for 9 years, once we were reconnected, he made sure I knew how much he cared about me. He taught me what love was supposed to feel like. Sure he had his imperfections and his short comings, but he would be the first to tell you about them.He had a light about him that even his bi polar disorder could not extinguish. He was a beautiful, poetic, amazing man and I miss him every day.

His name was Tim.  I met him when I was just 19, and fell in love with his wit and his passion and his humor almost immediately.  We really were best friends in addition to spouses - we loved all the same music (and my lord, did we love our music), had the same political views, liked all the same books and movies...I could talk to him forever and ever and never once get bored.  One of our favorite topics of conversation - usually while listening to a mix CD we had put together while making dinner, or some similar situation - was how goddamn lucky we were to have found each other.  How absolutely confident we were that we had found our "other half."

The man fit me like a glove.  He could be stubborn and sometimes let his pride and ego get away with him, but I think that's really quite common for people who were as wickedly intelligent as him.

I miss having a true partner.  One who not only loves me, but also loves all the same things that I do and wants to be by my side for everything - just how I felt about him.  I'll miss him until I'm just a pile of ashes mixed into his urn with him.

His name was Rick

I called him Ricky since when I met him at 9 years old, that's what his Mother and sister called him.

My son called him Daddy (Still does)

I called him "Baby Doll"

His coworkers called him a Genius, they wrote letters to my son about all the things he accomplished at work that will forever impact the future of pharmaceuticals.

I miss him so very bad, somedays, I can't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled upon this one :)

His Name was Don.

we met when I was 22 and he was 25 , both pretty wild at the time but the moment we met that was it!

over the next 27 years we made a wonderful life together.

He was the love of a lifetime and we never took that for granted

We always had fun together and mostly when it was just the two of us.

He was a jack of all trades and built me a beautiful house with amazing gardens outside.

He was the kind of guy you wanted on your side He was fiercely loyal to his friends and family but it was an exclusive club

I am happy to have been a member of that club

thanks for letting me say his name and share his life