Health & Fitness

Virgo

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I join in?  I haven't been to the forum in awhile.  I gave myself a pass on the food over the holidays, and I'm regretting it now.  I'm with you mmg19 with portion control!

Got in 5 x 3 back squats + heavy farmers carries.  Plus 20-15-10-5-10-15-20 wall balls, push ups, sits.  Phew.

Finally back to a normal workout schedule after a injury kept me from a lot of activities.  But that coupled with back at work after an almost 2 week vacation was just brutal.  I was so exhausted this week.  But on the exciting/scary side, this was week 1 of my journey to fulfilling my midlife crisis decision (or more honestly to this group - the I have to do something to stop just existing and really start living since my husband died) to complete an Ironman.  Less than 200 day to go...

You've got this manutesgirl!

1/8 rest day

1/9 legs, shoulders, and cardio

I'm not going to be able to walk tomorrow.  Funny,  I leg pressed 545 pounds, but the variations of body weight lunges cramped my legs. Love/hate lunges!

200 abs, back, biceps, and cardio today.

I did Derek Weida's back workout. Definitely check him out on Facebook.  He's funny and very motivating. Just be warned that his swearing might be offensive to some.

Great thread! I've worked very hard on getting healthy again since Nov. 2014. I topped out at a depressing 204 lbs. at that time. A not so happy marriage, PPD, and then late dh's sickness/death put me into a horrible state. I decided I'd had enough and started calorie counting, got a fitbit and put in 10,000 steps each day. So in the last 14 months I've lost 67 lbs. almost to my goal of 128 lbs. I'm only 5'1" so that will be a healthy weight for me. Christmas gave me a bit of a hiccup, but I'm back on track now.

With winter here in MN, 10,000 steps is hard, so for now my goal is at least 5,000 and 20 minutes on the treadmill 4+ days a week, and stay under my calorie goal. Hoping to hit my goal by May. Good luck to everyone in their goals!

If y'all don't mind, I think I am going to join up with you :) I have a different goal, however....I hope it fits in with this thread ?....here is my story:

I am type 1.5 diabetic ( basically a type 2 who has become insulin dependent.) My goals revolve around lowering and stabilizing blood sugars. My pancreas no longer makes insulin, so I will be injecting insulin the rest of my life, however I want to lower my insulin dosage as much as I can.

My diet now is basically "Atkins," but stricter. I will remain in the induction phase. Instead of adding carbs back to my diet slowly (as Atkins suggests after induction) I will remain at 35grams or less of carbs per day. I use My Fitness Pal which gives me the macros for my diet (great little program btw).

Currently my daily macros are as follows:

carbs - 35grams (10%), fat - 30g (20%), protein - 240g (70%)

Exercise is integral in my regimen for its blood glucose lowering aspect (for me, others find it raises the bg readings)

I do not count calories. I don't need to loose much weight (currently I am 5'7 and weigh 135lbs) my goals revolve around lowering blood sugar.

My HbA1c (blood test for a 3-month look at blood sugar ranges) was 15.1(extremely high) 6 months ago (this precipitated my need for injectable insulin). 3 months ago my A1c was 7.2. My goal is an A1c of 5.

Due to high bg levels over an extended period of time (I was diagnosed 16 years ago) I now have neuropathy in my feet and lower legs. I also suffer with macular degeneration. I am trying very hard to stop the progression of neuropathy and eyesight. 

I am still figuring out my exercise regimen so bare with me :)

Good luck to us all!!

Pammy

PS if anyone else is in the boat I am in (diabetes and drastically changing diet in an effort to control this chronic STUPID chronic disease lol) please feel free to pm me or contact me on this thread :)

Welcome DaysofElijah and Pammy.  Glad to have you join us.  There many types of goals and fitness levels here so hopefully you will find this a welcoming and encouraging group.  I know I'm inspired by this thread!

Due to this crazy snowstorm I will be getting some time on my trainer and lots of snow shoveling this weekend.

I am type 1.5 diabetic ( basically a type 2 who has become insulin dependent.) My goals revolve around lowering and stabilizing blood sugars. My pancreas no longer makes insulin, so I will be injecting insulin the rest of my life, however I want to lower my insulin dosage as much as I can.

Good luck, Pammy.

I am a "pre-diabetic" with a fasting blood glucose of between 107 and 110. My mom died from type 2 diabetes.

Yesterday -

Deadlifts Reps of 10, 5, and 3+ at 225, 255 and 280. (that is near my max)

Rest 1:00 min

Then as many reps as possible in 8:00 min

10 Deadlifts at 155

:20 sec Handstand hold (against the wall)

repeat until time runs out

Today had 'self defense' - it's really street fighting. Fast, down and dirty but completely safe - a hell of an aerobic workout.

Tomorrow is a healing day.

Thanks Bear :)

So sorry to hear about your mother :( its a miserable disease. My husband passed from diabetic -related heart disease.

Good luck with your journey. There are many in the diabetic community who feel that the term "pre-diabetic" is no longer appropriate and any fasting number over 100 mg/dl should be considered a full-on diabetic. Some doctors are starting to back this theory too. Personally, if I can keep my number below 140 fbs, I am thrilled lol. 

• 5 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I've seen a post here.  Wondering how everyone is doing.

I just came off of my hardest training week ever.  So many times I wanted to not finish a workout or to change it up so it wasn't so difficult.  But I did it.  I told my coach it was a huge exercise in mental toughness.  I'm glad I did it but am even happier that this week is a recovery week (which for me means fewer hours training). 

While I was struggling with my workouts I spent a lot of time wondering why I was doing this and what was motivating me.  There is the obvious goal of doing something I never thought possible. Then there are the external things that drive me and inspire me and those are great motivators.  This group is one of the reasons that I keep going....so thank you for the inspiration!

• 1 month later...

My friend and I challenged each other to 14 days of daily exercise.  We're on day 11. Today I did stairs. Yesterday I did an hour of cardio, 3 different torture machines. Tuesday I did chest, triceps, abs, and 40 minutes of cardio. Eats haven't been great since Easter.  I need to get back on track.