New Guy asked me to marry him!

lcoxwell

A year ago, New Guy and I first started talking about eventually getting married. He even took me shopping, so he could get a sense of what kind of engagement rings I liked. I have small hands, so I told him I preferred rings that were simple and not too big or flashy. I thought he might ask me to marry him last Christmas, or maybe New Years; but he didn't.

Around 11 months ago, he planned a romantic weekend getaway and took me to a cabin in the mountains, near a lake. He didn't ask me to marry him then, either.

Right before Valentines' Day, he asked me what my ring size was. Valentines' Day came and went. Still no ring.

Our one year anniversary came and went with no proposal. The same could be said for numerous romantic dates, for our celebration when I moved to be closer to him, and for my birthday.

One thing I know about him is that he is a man who doesn't do anything lightly or without careful consideration, first. I knew he would take his time, before proposing. Though I really wanted to marry him, I was okay with waiting and had come to the conclusion that he would ask me when he was ready, and at a time when I would least expect it.

Two weeks before Christmas, New Guy placed two presents for me under the Christmas tree. Neither of them had the appearance of being a box with a ring inside. I was prepared for Christmas to also come and go without a proposal. On Christmas morning, I opened a gift from my daughter. The gift was a surprise announcement that she was pregnant. I was so happy, I didn't even think about the possibility that New Guy might actually get around to asking me to marry him.

After that, I opened one of the two gifts from New Guy. It was a thoughtful gift, but it was not an engagement ring. Without giving even the slightest clue, New Guy handed me my second present. From the looks of it, I thought it was probably clothes of some kind. So, I pulled off the wrapping paper and opened the flaps of the box. This is what I saw:

Wedding%20Proposal_zpskxnuass6.jpg

And here is my ring:

Engagement%20Ring_zpsddtgzjwd.jpg

I am so completely in love with New Guy, and I am so happy that we are getting married. We already have an Alaskan cruise booked for our honeymoon and a wedding date set for this summer, right after school gets out. It will be exactly 25 months after our first meeting and 27 months after Kenneth's death. Somehow, that date just seems fitting.