What's in a name?

Wheelerswife

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined YWBB a couple of months after DH passed, in deep grief and doing my best to survive. I chose the screen name  trying2breathe because it described perfectly my state of mind at the time.  I'm in a better place now and these days it's easier to breathe, but the name remains as a reminder of the long journey. 

I joined YWBB at only two weeks out.  Deeply grieving, I didn't bother taking the time to come up with something original.  I was just so desperate to get registered, and the sooner, the better.  So, I just used the first initial, last name that I have so often had to use for work.  At first, I thought I could go back later and change it, but then, I ended up leaving it as it is, because my husband took so much pride in our name.  He used to tell the boys all the time, "No matter what, a man will always have two things in this world: his name and his word.  Both should mean something to you." 

Guest Questions

Questions because becoming a widow caused me to question just about everything I'd done in my life & everything leading into the future.

Why did this happen?

Am I being punished?

Did I take too much for granted?

What lessons should I learn from this?

Who am I & who will I be without him?

Where am I going & how will I get there?

Am I permanently broken?

Does life really go on?

Does he miss me too?

Will I ever see him again?

Will I ever be happy again? etc...

Just tons & tons of questions & the answers come slowly if they ever manifest at all .

A few months before his accident my husband sent me the following series of texts (keep in mind I was about 3 months pregnant at the time and leading an important meeting at work):

"I haven't been completely honest with you lately"

Me: "what?"

Ten long minutes later after many responses ran through my head.

"I am the batman"

That was just his sense of humor.  Weird and a little mean.  God I miss it.  Anyway, when I registered batmanswidow just came to mind.

These are fun to read!

When I was first widowed, I lived in Missouri, but knew I'd move back to Kansas when the next school year was up... MoKan_girl became my original screen name from that.  Somewhere along the line I forgot my password and couldn't log in, and many people on the board had shortened my name to Mokie, so when I re-registered, I just used Mokie.

klim

KLIM, Part of my last name, my married  name, the name I shared with my husband and  the name my kids both share.

Part of a strong name that even my son is happy to be called. ( you know how teen boys sometimes just call their buddies by their last name). He says I like my name , it's got a good ring to it.

So I registered within a week of dh passsing and maybe I wasn't being creative but like my son I like the sound of OUR name.

I've been in another forum and I had Chopper as my screen name for two reasons

1 My husband was a helicopter pilot and broker

2 That was my dog's name. 

But Everyone asumed I was male due to the manly name LOL. So when I registered to ywbb at least I had the mind to improve the name to Chopperette so people could identify me as female.

It's just a nickname given to me by a co-worker that I've used as is or variations on since I began posting here and there on the Internet way back in the late 90's.

Now that the 'net is changing and pushing us to use our real names, I seldom have need of my "anniegirl" persona but I use it when I can.

Guest tableforone

These are fun to read!

When I was first widowed, I lived in Missouri, but knew I'd move back to Kansas when the next school year was up... MoKan_girl became my original screen name from that.  Somewhere along the line I forgot my password and couldn't log in, and many people on the board had shortened my name to Mokie, so when I re-registered, I just used Mokie.

Ha! When I had the opportunity to meet Dona at the Fort Lauderdale bago, I asked her if Mokie was your first name!! She explained it to me. :D

I'm from the Yukon Territory, home of the Klondike Gold Rush (1898) -- John and I met there, and he used to call me his gold nugget... our wedding rings are unique to the Yukon (Sluice Box Rings - a channel with raw nuggets set into the channel)... it was a bit of a pet name.  He had some other names that weren't nearly so flattering, like:  "General Manager of the Universe" when he felt I was being too bossy, etc etc ---

When internet and internet forums first started to be used there was usually a field restriction (8 characters for many forums) and I used variations with 'nugget' or 'nuggets' for a posting handle.  I use Nuggets here, and on WidowNet -- most of the other forums have been sucked up by Facebook, but many of them were with 'nuggets' as part of the handle.

Mine is not very clever. It is a nickname a long time friend of mine calls me. He was always the only one that could get away with it, but my shock riddled brain could only manage to think of that name when I registered. So now many people call me that. :)

These are fun to read!

Ha! When I had the opportunity to meet Dona at the Fort Lauderdale bago, I asked her if Mokie was your first name!! She explained it to me. :D

That's funny!  I've had people ask me if Mokie or MoKan was some type of Indian name.  =)

My husband was a gun enthusiast and belonged to a group that staged shooting competitions with an old west theme.  The participants used nicknames and when he asked me to help with one for him, I happened to be studying Italian at the time.  Since hubby was a southpaw, I looked up the Italian word for "left-handed" and it was "Mancino".  :)

As a child growing up at home, we always had a cat. A prerequisite before I married Dave was that we could always have one. He said yes. We married in June and in August we went to the Humane Society and adopted a kitten. We were told she was about 9 weeks old. When we got home we looked at the calendar and discovered that 9 weeks ago was when we got married! So we always celebrated her birthday and our anniversary together. I named her Catnip. She lived 15 years, moving with us to our starter home, and living thru the birth of our 3 sons. When she passed away we adopted Jingle, who lived 18 years. We now have Calvin, who my son brought home, after Dave passed away.

I have always been a cat person. My Mother used to call me Kitten. So I?m OK with the fact that I will be a cat lady, soon.

I chose Catnip as my screen name because it represents the beginning of our lives together, what a wonderful man I married, and great memories.

Mine is Hebrew.  I think it's a place name.  But it means a bond between people who are separated.  Something about Gd "keep watch between you and me when we are absent one from another."  I don't even believe in Gd, but he did, and I love the idea.

GEEEEEEEEEEEZ.  I can't even claim widow brain. It  was more like nobrainatall.  It's my last name. LMAO.  He liked that he was of Irish descent and I'm proud of his name and just like seeing it ... I'm still a Carey though his mom would beg to differ.

My wife came up with all4liv for a screenname of hers and I stole it for YWBB. Olivia is our daughter and we had a long and at times agonizing adoption process and there was nothing we wouldn't do for her so all4liv felt appropriate. And YWBB was to help me but really for me to be able to help Olivia (Liv), so it was fitting.

No exciting story here.  My original name was YIslander.  Y being the first letter of my name and Islander is what we are called where I am from. I needed a change so I changed it to Vettie as it was my nickname when I was a child.

I found the ywbb at two weeks out, when I was totally lost and felt so sad and I am a believer so I picked Heaven Bound since that is where I hope to end up, shortened it to HvnBound to make it easier and everyone usually just calls me HB for short.